Anyone Can Shop. Everyone Can Join.
From the very beginning, Ashland Food Co-op has been so much more than a natural food store. We’re a people, planet, and principle-centered community of changemakers. Our members are our owners and we rely on them to help us make this world a better place.
A one-time refundable equity investment of $100 gets you a lifetime of membership at the Ashland Food Co-op. And here’s the best part—you don’t have to pay for it all at once. Become an owner by making an initial payment of as little as $10. You can complete an owner application at the Information Desk.
In return for your valuable investment, the Co-op pledges to operate for the long-term health of our community. Unlike most businesses that make decisions primarily to maximize profits, cooperatives make decisions to maximize service to their owners and the community. At the Ashland Food Co-op, we place people, principles, and the planet before profit.
While all are welcome and anyone can shop at the Co-op, as an owner you qualify for some pretty awesome benefits:
- Owner Coupons: Members can save 10% three times per year and receive $45 in coupons throughout the year.
- Bi-Monthly Newsletters: The Co-op's electronic newsletter is emailed to you every two months and will keep you up to date on all things Co-op including handy health tips, recipe ideas, and farm and food producer profiles.
- Gift Card Discounts: Owners receive a discount of $3 when purchasing a $100 AFC gift card with cash or check.
- Patronage Dividend: Members share the profit. Patronage dividends are distributed annually in proportion to purchases.
- Participation: Owners are encouraged to participate democratically in the governance of the Co-op by running for a board position and holding office, voting in elections, and joining committees.
Board of Directors
The Ashland Food Cooperative is a member-owned and member-governed cooperative corporation with the Board of Directors acting as the decision-making center of the business. The board provides overall direction for the Co-op on behalf of the ownership, ensures sound management to achieve the goals of the Co-op, and keeps the ownership informed about the status of the business. Board members are elected by the ownership for a three-year term. We encourage all members to consider service at this level.
Wondering if you’re a good candidate? Here’s what we suggest:
- Board members must be Co-op owners in good standing.
- Knowledge of natural foods is desirable.
- Prior experience, education, or skills could include: work on a volunteer board; financial, business, or legal background management, supervisory, or organizational skills; negotiation, facilitation, and conflict resolution skills; collective/cooperative experience.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you! Email us at [email protected]