Start the beet season with this healthy salad full of folate, maganese and potassium. Pressure cook your beets to save on cooking time.
- 4 Large beets with greens attached
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ¼ pound feta cheese
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- Wash the beets and remove the tops. Place beets in a large pot filled with water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until beets are tender. This will take about an hour.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat. When seeds begin to pop and give off a nutty aroma, they are ready. Set aside.
- Wash the greens and steam until just tender. Chop into bite sized pieces.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk until blended.
- Peel beets and cut into small cubes.
- Combine the beets, greens, onions, and seeds in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over the top, and toss well. Add the cheese and toss once more, gently.