This slightly smoky and a little spicy vegan entree is great for a warm summer day.
Serve it over rice (coconut rice is a wonderful compliment to this dish) and pair it with a dry rose, dry sparkling wine, or a good lager.
1 Large Eggplant
2 Red bell peppers
5 tbsp olive oil (at least)
Salt (smoked salt optional)
Pepper to taste
For Mango Chutney:
3 Honey Mangos
½ Red Onion
2 Garlic cloves
1 tbsp sriracha
1 jalapeno (optional for extra spice)
1 tbsp Lime juice
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
½ tsp salt
- Cut off stem and butts of eggplant and cut into ½ inch circles.
- Cut bell peppers into 1-inch cubes.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Eggplant soaks up olive oil so be generous.
- Set aside.
- Dice up red onion, jalapeno (optional), and garlic.
- Mix in lime juice and salt.
- Let sit for 5 min.
- While you are waiting, dice up your mango and cilantro.
- Stir into your onion mixture along with cilantro and sriracha.
- Preheat to medium-high heat
- (You may want to place your eggplant and bell peppers in a grill basket to keep from falling through).
- Grill on each side for 5 min or until soft.
- Serve with mango chutney.