1 cup whole grain spelt flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ stick of unsalted butter, softened
⅔ cup plus 1 ½ tablespoons cane sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
½ cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh raspberries
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
• Butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan.
• Whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
• In a larger bowl beat the butter with ⅔ cup of the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and the egg.
• On low speed, add the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour. Mix just until combined.
• Scatter the raspberries evenly over the top and sprinkle with the remaining 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar.
• Bake until the cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
• Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, and then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling. Invert on to a plate for serving.