Ashland Food Co-op is a consumer-owned cooperative that operates for the benefit of our owners and our community. To become an owner simply make a one-time, refundable equity investment of $100. You may also become an owner by making an initial $10 payment! You'll be reminded at the register when another quarterly $10 payment is due until your $100 equity purchase is paid. In return, the Co-op pledges to operate for the long-term health of our community. Unlike most businesses that make decisions primarily to maximize profits, cooperatives make decisions to maximize service to their owners and the community.
Complete an owner application at the Information Desk! Your equity investment is refundable if you terminate your ownership, and as soon as replacement equity is available. Owner benefits begin with your first equity payment and apply to you and your household:
Generous Owner Benefits
While anyone can shop at the Co-op, as an owner you qualify for some unique benefits. Here are our current owner benefits.
- Receive our email newsletters: Every month the Co-op emails you to keep you up to date about the Co-op and health and food related issues.
- Monthly Coupons. Owners save 10% three times a year and receive $45 in additionaly coupons throughout the rest of the year.
- Discount on Gift Cards: Owners receive a discount of $3 off per $100 when purchasing AFC gift cards with cash or check.
- Share the Profit: Co-op owners receive a portion of the co-op's profit through annual Patronage Dividends. Patronage Dividends are distributed to you in proportion to your purchases and are mailed in June. Each year the co-op makes a profit, the Board of Directors decides what percentage of patronage to distribute. By law, co-ops are required to distribute at least 20% of an owner’s accumulated patronage.
- Take Part in the Co-op's Governance: Owners democratically participate in the co-op by running for a board position, voting in elections, holding office, or joining committees. Only owners can run for elected board positions.