This one is a bit of work but the results are memorable! It will become a family classic in your house.
Roasted Green Chile Sauce:
1 pound Tomatillos, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 cups Anaheim and/or Pablano Chilies, roasted
1 large sweet yellow onion, roasted
2-4 tablespoons olive oil
4-6 cloves garlic, smashed and lightly sautéed
1 tablespoon mild chili powder
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 package of corn tortillas (12)
1 ½ cups black beans (drained)
1 cup cooked long grain white Basmati rice
1 pound cheddar cheese, grated (1/2 cup reserved for top)
1 can diced black olives
8 ounces of sour cream
½ package Cotija cheese
- Puree all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Add a small amount of water if necessary, to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Make enchiladas as directed.
- Extra sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week, or it may be frozen.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Pour a thin layer of sauce in a 9 x 13” baking pan.
- Steam tortillas on low heat until soft (about 30 seconds).
- Combine beans, rice, olives, sour cream and all but ½ cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Fill steamed tortillas with approximately ¼ cup of filling.
- Roll them up and pack them side-by-side into the pan.
- Cover the enchiladas with the sauce and sprinkle with the ½ cup of reserved cheddar cheese.
- Cook for 20 minutes @ 350°. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the Cotija cheese on top. Return to the oven for 5 minutes.