1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 pound ground chicken sausage (mild Italian or French apple)
1 bunch kale, collards, swiss chard or spinach, chopped
1 14.5 ounce can diced fire roasted Muir Glen tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tablespoon Tamari
2.5 cups uncooked French lentils
6-8 cans (from the tom sauce) of water
Celery innards, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼-1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Wash lentils
- Sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat for 7-10 minutes.
- Add chicken sausage and sauté until it is no longer pink.
- Add celery, carrot, and garlic, sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, pepper, bay leaf, oregano, Tamari and one can of water. Stir and simmer for five minutes.
- Add 3 cans of water (use the tomato can)
- Simmer for 1 hour (check about halfway through to see if lentils are done).
- Add kale (or other greens) and more water.
- Continue simmering for an additional 15-30 minutes until greens are tender.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot with crusty bread or corn tortillas. Topping options include: A drizzle of balsamic vinegar, a squeeze of fresh lemon, crumbled feta cheese, grated dry Italian cheese (like parmesan or Asiago), chopped fresh parsley
- Consider adding additional vegetables such as burdock, winter root vegetables, diced potatoes, green beans, diced eggplant, and/or diced zucchini.