This round Moroccan cookie serves well with hot tea or coffee- share with family and friends
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 T butter, softened
- 1/4 c sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- 3 T flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 2 1/4 c walnut pieces, coarsely ground
- powdered sugar for dredging/dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg and the butter, and then blend in the sugar and cinnamon.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder and work into the batter along with the walnuts.
- Mix to form a consistent, smooth dough.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the powdered sugar in a bowl. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls. It is easy to make them larger, but they are better if kept fairly small at 1 inch. Roll the balls in the powdered sugar and place on the baking sheet, spaced about 1 inch apart.
- Bake them for about 4-5 minutes, rotate the sheet, and bake until the cookies are golden and firm at the edges and cracked on the surface but soft in the center, another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the sheet, then transfer to a rack. If desired, dust with more powdered sugar before serving.
- Makes about 2 dozen, less if you make them too big