8-12 whole roasted and peeled fresh green chilies
6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese cut into small finger shapes
Flour for dredging
2 eggs separated
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup flour
½ teaspoon sea salt
Safflower oil for shallow frying
3 cups tomato sauce
- Mix all the batter ingredients except the egg whites in a food processor blend until smooth.
- Set aside while you prepare the chilies.
- Make a slit in the side of the chili and insert the cheese.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold in the batter from the food processor.
- Carefully dredge the chili in flour shake off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet. When a drop of batter bubbles and starts to puff as soon as it hits the oil it is ready to fry the rellenos.
- Dip each chili into the batter. The chili should be about doubled in size with the batter. Using a slotted spoon gently transfer the chili to the hot oil.
- Fry for just a minute or two on each side so the batter puffs and turns a golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm with tomato sauce or salsa.