Red Jewel – New Season Beet Salad
- 2 medium size beets, stems trimmed to 1 inch
- 10 cups loosely packed salad greens
- 1 scallion, green and white both cut into thin slivers
- 2 ounces of Rogue Creamery Smokey Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Place the washed beets in a lidded baking dish with ½ inch of water. Roast for about an hour or until a fork easily pierces the beets. Slip off the skins, and cut the beets into chunky but bite size pieces. Place in a small bowl.
- Wash the greens and place in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Add the scallions/onion and cheese to the greens.
- Toss about 1 tablespoon of the dressing with the beets.
- Add the remainder of the dressing to the greens and toss well.
- Place the beets in the salad so they show off their beautiful color.