Ashland Food Co-op is a consumer-owned cooperative that operates for the benefit of our owners and our community. To become an owner simply make a one-time, refundable equity investment of $100. You may also become an owner by making an initial $10 payment! You'll be reminded at the register when another quarterly $10 payment is due until your $100 equity purchase is paid. In return, the Co-op pledges to operate for the long-term health of our community. Unlike most businesses that make decisions primarily to maximize profits, cooperatives make decisions to maximize service to their owners and the community.
Complete an owner application at the Information Desk! Your equity investment is refundable if you terminate your ownership, and as soon as replacement equity is available. Owner benefits begin with your first equity payment and apply to you and your household:
Generous Owner Benefits
While anyone can shop at the Co-op, as an owner you qualify for some unique benefits. Here are our current owner benefits.
- Receive Our Newsletters: The Co-op's newsletter is mailed to your household every two months to keep you up to date about the Co-op and health and food related issues.
- Receive "Owner Only" Coupons: Your newsletter will contain special coupons that currently give you $5 off a purchase of $25 or more.
- Enjoy Additional Discounts: We appreciate your patronage and reward you with a special Owner Appreciation Coupon that gives you 10% off any one purchase during the designated 2 month period. The coupon will come inside your newsletter 3 times a year.
- Discount on Gift Cards: Owners receive a discount of $3 off per $100 when purchasing AFC gift cards with cash or check.
- Share the Profit: Co-op owners receive a portion of the co-op's profit through annual Patronage Dividends. Patronage Dividends are distributed to you in proportion to your purchases and are mailed in June. Each year the co-op makes a profit, the Board of Directors decides what percentage of patronage to distribute. By law, co-ops are required to distribute at least 20% of an owner’s accumulated patronage.
- Take Part in the Co-op's Governance: Owners democratically participate in the co-op by running for a board position, voting in elections, holding office, or joining committees. Only owners can run for elected board positions.