A fabulous cake to take on picnics, it's gorgeous and delicious.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
¾ cup whole grain spelt flour
¾ cup barley flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cane sugar
1 large egg
½ cup milk of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound strawberries hulled and halved
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 or 10 inch cake pan.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg, milk and vanilla until just combined.
- Add the dry mixture gradually mixing until just smooth.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan. Arrange strawberries cut side down on top of the batter. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar on top.
- Bake the cake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake until the cake is golden brown and a tester comes out clean. This will take about 50 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan and cut into wedges. Serve with whipped cream.