3 to 3 ¼ cups spring vegetables (asparagus, fava beans or peas)
1 tablespoon safflower oil
¾ cup scallions thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger peeled and minced
1 clove garlic minced
1 cup firm tofu chopped small
½ cup chives chopped into ⅛ inch pieces
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
½ cup water
50 potsticker (wonton) wrappers
Scallion Dipping Sauce
2 to 3 scallions thinly sliced
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup tamari
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- To prepare the veggies, cut asparagus into ½ inch segments. Remove favas from their pods and boil for 3 minutes. Press them out of their opaque skins. Peas need no pretreatment.
- Heat a wok or large sauté pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil, then the scallions, ginger and garlic. Cook for one minute then add the veggies in the order of the time they need to cook until crisp-tender. Asparagus will need about 4 minutes, peas about 2.
- Add the tofu and chives and cook just until the chives wilt. Season with the salt, and transfer to a fine mesh colander to drain off any excess liquid. Let cool. Add the sesame oil. Chop or mash if mixture is still chunky.
- To assemble the potstickers lightly oil two baking sheets.
- Remove the first wrapper from package and put it on a plate. Place damp towel over the rest of the wrappers. Brush the wrapper with a little water. Place 1-2 teaspoons of filling in the center of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half over the filling, sealing the center edge shut. Make a few small pleats down each side to seal in the filling.
- Rest potstickers pleats up on the cookie sheets.
- You can freeze the potstickers on a cookie sheet and then store them in a freezer container.
- To cook the potstickers heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and then arrange the potstickers in a single layer and cook until browned on the bottom. Add water, it will hiss and sputter, so move quickly. Put a lid on the pot and cook the potstickers for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove lid and simmer until any remaining water has cooked off.
- To make the dipping sauce, merely combine all of the sauce ingredients.
- Serve the potstickers on a plate with the dipping sauce on the side.