- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 -12 ounce package tempeh, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup snow peas or asparagus (slice asparagus into 1 1/2 inches lengths)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh marjoram, minced
- 4 cups cooked brown basmati rice or quinoa
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- At least three hours before you plan to serve this dish, combine the tamari, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, maple syrup, and garlic in a 9x9 inch baking dish. Add the sliced tempeh and set aside.
- Place the walnuts on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven for 7 minutes. Chop coarsely and set aside.
- Heat a 1 1/2 quart skillet and add 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil. Add the sliced mushrooms and continue to sauté until they begin to make squeaky noises. Add the sea salt to extract the remaining juices.
- Add the peas or asparagus and sauté just until they turn bright green. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Remove the tempeh from the marinade and pat it dry. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Sauté the tempeh on each side until it turns a golden brown.
- Combine the tempeh, veggies, olives, herbs, and rice. Toss well and serve.