1 small onion diced
2 stalks celery diced
1 large or two medium size carrots shredded
½ head Chinese cabbage shredded
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ block of soft tofu crumbled
2 teaspoons tamari
2 teaspoons fresh ginger juice
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon cane sugar or maple syrup
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons tamari or fish sauce
2 tablespoons roasted peanuts chopped fine
4 to 6 cups water for prepping wrappers
1 package rice flour spring roll wrappers
1 bunch fresh mint or cilantro or both washed
16 whole lettuce leaves washed
• Heat the oil in a wok or heavy bottomed skillet. Add the onion and sauté until transparent, about 2 minutes.
• Add the celery, stirring to coat with the oil. Next add the carrot followed by the cabbage. Stir the cooking veggies for a few minutes. Add the tofu, stir into the veggies.
• Add the sea salt, cover and turn the heat to low. Continue to cook the veggies for 5 minutes.
• Remove the lid, add the tamari, ginger juice and the sprouts. Remove from the heat.
• Combine all of the dipping sauce ingredients and set aside.
• Bring the water almost to a boil.
• Using a pair of tongs pass the wrappers one at a time through the water. They should be very limp.
• Lay one at a time on a flat surface.
• Place about a quarter cup of filling in the very center. Cover with the sheet side nearest to you. Close the opposite side away from you over the center. Fold in each of the sides. They will stick together.
• Repeat the process until you have the desired number of rolls.
• To serve give everyone a small bowl of dipping sauce, several lettuce leaves and a handful of fresh herbs.
• Place some of the herbs on the roll and wrap a lettuce leaf around the herbs and the roll.
• Dip into the sauce and TAKE A BIG BITE!
Note: Consider adding pre-cooked chicken breast and add it to the precooked filling. Substitute chopped fresh shrimp for the tofu.