2 ½ cups white pastry flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cane sugar
½ cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
½ cup coconut oil (liquefied, not solid)
⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold water
4 generous cups rhubarb cut into ½ inch pieces
¼ cup granulated quick cooking tapioca
1 cup unrefined cane sugar
¼ teaspoon sea salt
Zest of one orange
½ teaspoon cinnamon
First make the crust
- Whisk flour, salt & sugar in bowl
- Add butter pieces and coconut oil, blending them into flour mix using fingers or a fork. Blend until dough becomes mealy.
- Drizzle in the cold water. Lightly knead the dough into a smooth ball. To achieve a flaky crust, do not over mix the dough.
- Chill dough for 10-20 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.
Then make the filling
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a bowl. Mix together. Let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Cut the dough in half, and gently roll it out into two large circles.
- Line a 9” pie dish with one of the circles.
- Pour the filling in.
- Place the second circle on top.
- Seal and flute the edges. Make a few slits into the top of the crust.
- Bake the pie on top of a cookie sheet, in a preheated (425°) oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375°, and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes.
- Cool and serve.