The abundance of summer is rolling in! Are you ready?
This time of year I pour through blogs and books about canning and preserving the harvest, gleaning inspiration from my peers and weighing in my mind which recipes would make good gifts. The stack of empty Ball jars in my pantry glisten with inspiration and the promise of good things to come.
Every year I am taken by surprise each time the harvests roll in, and this year I’ve decided to be armed and ready to go when those juicy morsels roll my way. Preserving the harvest can be as simple as freezing fruit to use later in the year, or as complicated as making pie filling sans pectin.
Here are the things I’ll be doing to prepare for this summer’s harvest:
- Stock up on Ball jars and new lids
- Corral canning supplies into one area, to eliminate spending an hour finding that dang lid-magnet stick.
- Stock up on quart and gallon size freezer bags,
- Clear out and organize the freezer
- Earmark and print recipes for the year
- Daydream about fancy canning labels
Gretchen Phillips, Education Coordinator
Summer inspiration for canning and preserving
Canning Labels on Etsy